If you’re a school custodian, then you know that there’s no such thing as “too clean.” Schools need to be kept spotless in order to keep students and faculty safe and healthy. That said, cleaning a school isn’t easy—especially if it’s time-consuming or requires special equipment or chemicals. Luckily for you, we’ve compiled this comprehensive list of housekeeping tasks that will help make your life easier:
Toilets and sinks
- Remove any paper towels and other trash.
- Clean the toilet, sink, and mirror.
- Clean the walls, ceiling, and floor.
- Clean the trash can—and use disinfectant on it if you have one.
- Clean the door handle and door (yes, you can do it with a sponge!)
Vents and air ducts
The vents and air ducts in your school need to be cleaned once a week. This is done on Fridays, so that you can start the weekend with fresh air.
To clean the vents, you’ll need:
- A vacuum
- A broom or dustpan to remove any loose debris or dust that falls out during cleaning
You can also use this time to sweep up any dust on top of desks and other surfaces where there’s no carpeting. It’s best not to vacuum those areas because they’re prone to static electricity build-up; sweeping will keep this from becoming problematic.
Floors and carpets
Floors and carpets
The floor surface of a school is not only a big part of the overall aesthetic, but it can also be a safety hazard. School floors are often tiled or covered with carpet, which makes it easy for objects like pencils, erasers and books to become stuck between cracks in the flooring. Vacuum cleaners should be used once per week to remove any dirt that has accumulated on top of the tiles or fibres within carpets over this period. If there are any stains on your school’s floors (which may happen if you spill food or drinks), these can be removed by following these steps:
- Sweep up as much debris as possible using an old broom or brush before moving onto step two. This will make cleanup easier later on because you won’t have to deal with large amounts at once!
- Use warm water mixed with some dish soap and scrubbing bubbles (or other comparable product) applied directly onto stains until they’re gone! For best results when working with stubborn stains such as oil spills from cooking classes take extra care when cleaning them off since they could potentially cause permanent damage if not dealt with properly first time round.”
Restrooms should be cleaned every day, as well as after each use. You should also clean restrooms before and after breaks, lunch periods, and before and after school. That said, it’s important to remember that the bathroom is a breeding ground for germs. So if you want to keep your school sanitary at all times, you should try spraying down the toilet seats with disinfectant spray before students use them—and then again after they have been used.
If there are any spills in your restrooms that need cleaning up immediately (like urine), make sure that you mop up all of it quickly in order to prevent staining on hard surfaces like floors or walls
Trash cans and recycling bins
- Make sure your trash and recycling bins are clean and free of debris.
- Keep the lids on the trash cans so they don’t smell bad, attract pests, or get wet when it rains.
- Separate your trash and recycling bins so that they’re easily identifiable by students and staff alike.
Windows and window treatments
Window treatments are another area that you should take care of. Window treatments, like drapes and curtains, can be cleaned using any of these methods:
- Microfiber cloth
- Damp cloth
- Dry cloth
The employee lounge is a place for employees to relax, unwind and socialize. It should be clean and comfortable so they feel welcome in it. Some schools have a coffee machine or water cooler in the lounge that can help make it an inviting place for their employees. The lounge should also have access to a refrigerator so employees can store food there if they want to bring lunch from home.
Schools should be cleaned regularly, and there are many options for professional cleaners
Whether you’re a teacher, student, or administrator of a school, it’s important to keep the space clean and pleasant. Schools should be cleaned regularly, and there are many options for professional cleaners.
It is important that schools are cleaned thoroughly and efficiently. Many schools choose to hire professional cleaning companies because they provide safe, effective cleaning services at an affordable price point. It’s also important that when hiring a company to clean your school that you consider cost-effectiveness as well as efficiency when making your decision on who will be providing these services.
We hope this guide has helped you understand some of the most important areas of your school. If there are any other areas that need cleaning, just add them to the checklist and remember to keep it updated as things change! HCS Commercial Cleaning also offer school cleaning services if you would like any assistance maintaining the checklist items above.